Monday, October 8, 2012

Living My Dream

Tricky question.

My Dream changes often.

Right now, I’d have to say yes.

I’m working towards running my 1st half marathon. I think I might have mentioned that before.

I’ve wanted to be a runner for years.

For years I’ve been afraid to even try. Once or twice I did try. But then game up after a week or two. It was easier to give up than to all out fail.

I’m sure I’ve mentioned this before. One of my best friends ran her 1st Half Marathon in January of 2012. I went to Disney Land to cheer her across the finish. Only that didn’t happen. Don’t like your fingers while you’re at Disney Land.

Anyway, I remember telling her over and over how she was crazy. How I’d never be able to do it. Ever. How I wouldn’t even try. There was no way I’d be able to run 1 mile, let alone 13.1.

In April, when they announced the 2nd Annual Tinker Bell Half Marathon at Disney Land, she messaged me. She told me next year I’d be crossing the finish line WITH her, instead of just being (sort of) at the finish line to meet her.

The words that came to my mind?

Fuck. I better start running.

And I did.

And it was hard.

Really hard.

I could barely run a mile and a half in 30 minutes. My average minutes per mile were hovering around 18 or 19.

But I kept on.

It got a little easier as time went on. As I remained dedicated to running 3 times a week.

Now, when I go out for a 30 minute run I get about 2.4 miles in.

My longest run to date is 11 miles. It was really, really, (fucking) hard. Well, not the whole thing. Just the last 2 miles. They were brutal. But I finished them.

My minutes per mile are about 12 to 13 now. Not fast, but much better when I started.

I’m proud of myself.

I even cranked up that dream a notch. My 1st half marathon will be the Disney Wine & Dine at Disney World this November 10th.

Wow.

Living my dream and feeling better than I ever have.

Go me.

376716_10151130398235219_1852318035_n

This is me and Carly after our 1st 5K together in August of 2012. She came up from Arizona to run in The Color Run with me. She really loves me.

Day 6 of BlogFEST 2012 hosted by Corinne Rodrigues of Everyday Gyaan. Of course it’s not to late to join us!!

BlogFEST 2012 Badge

3 comments:

Jenn said...

I'm proud of you!! I am DAMN proud of you. I used to run...a lot. I haven't run hardly at all in 16 years. Now--while I do walk about 4 miles a day- I can't envision running. Yet--your story is inspiring!! :)

Cheers, Jenn

Suzy said...

Wishing you the marathon dream come true.
Suzy Living my dream

Lin said...

You go, pally!!

I still can't believe all that running you do! I can't run. Well, maybe if the ice cream man is down the block.....

;)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
blog template by suckmylolly.com