Thursday, June 14, 2012

Near & Dear To My Heart

diabetesbutton

I was diagnosed with Type II diabetes around 5 or 6 years ago. I can’t remember the exact amount of years, but what I can tell you is that it was absolutely devastating.

Yes. Devastating.

Even though I was pretty much expecting it.

I had a family history. I had gestational diabetes with all three of my pregnancies (one that even required insulin to manage), and I was overweight.

When I got that call from the doctor, it was like a punch in the gut.

How? Me? But I’m too young. I’m not THAT fat. Do over?? Please?

I have battled it since. My blood sugar numbers have never been perfect, no matter how “good” I eat. No matter how much exercise I do. No matter how compliant I am with my meds. (Yes, “MEDS,” I have to take 2 different ones).

Currently, I can eat 1 serving of carbs a day. Not that bad, you say? A diabetics serving of carbs is only 15 grams. Just 15 grams!! Tiny! That’s about half a banana, 1/2 of a cup of potatoes, or 1/3 of a cup of pasta. And that’s a day. Not per meal.

I’d love to help find a cure for this disease.

On October 20, 2012 I am going to do the 5K Step Out Walk To Stop Diabetes. The one I’m participating in is in Denver, Colorado.

I encourage you to click the link above and donate. Even if it’s only a few cents. You can make a donation here using your credit card or PayPal. (YES! They take PayPal now!).

If you don’t have anything to spare, that’s okay!! Spread the word to your family and friends. Help me make this Viral!!

Orrrr…..You can join me if you live close enough. There’s always room for one more. It would be fun to have a teammate or two.

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
blog template by suckmylolly.com