Sunday, June 24, 2012

Race Recap: Welcome To Summer Virtual 5K

Okay, okay, this was more of a slowwww run rather than a race. I admit it. Sigh.

I had great expectations for this race, which was part of the Welcome To Summer Virtual Run. I was going to give it my all and get a PR!! I was!! Really!

But then my 7 year old daughter, Maddy said she wanted to run with me. I’ve signed her up for a 5K on July 7th, so I figured I better see if she even COULD run an entire 5K. She is much like me and is not very athletically inclined.

The good news is that she can. Just barely.

My 9 year old, Michael, ran with us too.

Our time was 48:01 (See….very slowwww. Even for me)

Mile 1 - 14:42 For about half of the 1st mile I had high hopes that she would be able to keep up and finish with a 15 second run/45 second walk pace. Not so. She could only do about 4 or 5 of those before she was too tired. We dropped down to a 10 second run/50 walk interval and she was able to handle that much better.

Mile 2 – 15:42 Maddy insisted on getting a drink every time we finished a lap. I kept going, but a little slower, while she finished her drink and caught up.

Mile 3 – 16:06 Maddy was still trying to get a drink of water after every lap, but after the 1st lap she sat down. I had to yell at her and threaten her life to get off her ass and catch up to me. She tried to cut across the track to catch up, until I yelled “cheater!!” (I am such a mean mom!) The last 10 minutes or so I had to hold her hand and encourage her to run for those 10 seconds.

Although it was a little slower than I would have liked, I am very proud of Maddy for running it with me. She had a hard time, but in the end she was able to finish it. And even with a bit of a smile on her face. I’m not sure if she will volunteer herself to run with me again (except for the run I’ve already entered her in), but I really hope she will!

I had a huge fibromyalgia flare-up and couldn’t run the 10K part of the race today. I’m really hoping I feel better tomorrow and can get it in before the end of the contest.

Here’s a picture of my brats and I, right after the run. Terrible picture, I know, but we had to wait until dusk for it to cool down enough to run. My iPhone doesn’t take the greatest pictures when there isn’t enough light.

5K run

3 comments:

Catch My Words said...

Quality in photos is over rated. The bright smile on your little girl face fixes everything!

As for running, we used to say that when you get up to run, you've already outshone the majority of the population. They're still sitting on the couch. On another note, I walked around a grocery store today. It wore me out... so you see, it could be worse! :(

In answer to your question, two of my kids work at Camp Sabra.

http://joycelansky.blogspot.com

Toni @ Runninglovingliving said...

Great job to you and your daughter! Thanks so much for participating!!!

Marcia said...

I'm jealous that you can get your kids to run with you! My oldest son is 9 and a sprinter, so he won't run with me because I'm "slow." :/ Oh well, I got him beat - he may run faster, but he can't do the distance. LOL

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
blog template by suckmylolly.com